August 24, 2013

I have a white sink...


One of those, I think cast iron, covered in the white that shows every bit of grime and that scuffs easily by the setting of a pot or pan, it can even stain with rust if a wet steel pan sits a tad too long in one spot.  I’m not a fan of the white sink.  The neat freak in me just thinks it’s always dirty.
Where I work, we have a stainless steel sink, oh man, what a great invention!!  I do the dishes (a shared task of the staff) and I wipe it down and I think, lovely!  Simply lovely!

But it’s really no different from my sink.  It just looks different, but on the inside, in the nooks and crannies there is that grime, that stain, although unseen, it’s there.

I never thought I’d say this but these sinks are kind of like people.  Oh, I wish I could say I was always clean like that white sink freshly Comet cleaned…not the look clean like the stainless steel.  I wish we could all get real honest and acknowledge that at times there’s some stuff stuck in the nooks and crannies.

The past couple weeks have been strange, immensely blessed I am, yet it’s been a period of time where it just seemed to always be something….ever had that happen to you?  You know that “one of those days” things that seems to last for weeks!?  I say that with a strange smile of exhaustion, I don’t want anyone to think my life has been tough beyond comprehension in the past weeks, truth be told, if these are the worst things that happen, it’s not a bad life!!  But I’m sure we’ve all been there, frustrated, exasperated, confused…sitting there with that “What just happened look?” on your face.

One issue is not resolved yet one is, life stuff…stuff that no matter where we go we’ll most likely have to deal with.  Because we’re all that sink.  Oh we get pretty, sometimes pretty and clean to the very core of us but then someone puts a big ol’ pot on us or we put the big ol’ pot on our self and I think in most cases it’s a bit of both, outside forces and inside reactions.  That makes for a messy sink.
 
In my home, almost always, you’ll find a canister of the tried and true, Comet.  Nothing cleans that white sink like Comet.  I sprinkle it on; add a little water and scrub, scrub hard, it’s not fun, I never think, “Yay, it’s time to Comet the sink!”  But it’s got to be done, the sinks got to get cleaned.  And so I scrub.

In my home, always you’ll find a Bible, tried and true, Jesus Christ.  Nothing cleans this ol’ soul like Jesus, I soak Him in, He scrubs, sometime hard, but it’s got to be done, the soul has got to get cleaned.  I sat with Him this morning and watched the sunrise and I sit here now so thankful that the Son rose.  So grateful for his constant cleansing as I confess and turn and start again.

Second Chances* -

You called my name, reached out your hand, restored my life and I was redeemed the moment you entered my life; so it’s with everything I have, I reach out for your hand the hope for change the second chance I’ve gained.  On you I throw my life…

So I wait upon you now with my hands released to you where a little faith’s enough to see mountains lift and move and I wait upon you know dedicated to your will, to this love that will remain, this love that never fails.

How could greater love than this ever possibly exist?
 
*Tim Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment